What is Weekend Circle for Hope?
This year we have made fundraising easier and more fun than ever. After 8 years of coaching more than 100,000 participants to reach and exceed their goals, we have compiled the most effective practices into one, simple to follow guide to ensure your success. All you have to do is focus on one thing….building your Weekend Circle For Hope.A successful Weekend experience is built upon a strong network of support
- your Circle for Hope. Getting friends and family involved in your Weekend journey not only helps to expand your giving circle and recruit new crusaders for our cause, but also spreads the word about our unforgettable endeavour and makes the whole experience a lot more fun! Plus, earn Hope Fundraising Credits as your circle grows.
So, who’s included in my Circle for Hope?
Everyone! Friends and family, co-workers, Facebook contacts, fellow Walkers—even your Weekend Coaches! Never underestimate the scope of this cause and give all the people in your life the opportunity to become part of the journey—as a donor, a teammate, a supporter, or a messenger to share your story with others!
How do I recruit my Circle for Hope?
It’s all about getting your Weekend message out to as many people as possible, and encouraging them to get their own social networks involved! Host a Circle for Hope party at your home, upload the Weekend email badge to your signature line, download the Facebook application to your account—or utilize one of the many other fundraising, team building, or social networking tools available to you! For other ideas about ways to expand your Weekend Circle for Hope, please click here
. I’m a returning Walker. How is Circle for Hope different from what I’ve done to prepare for past Weekends?
It’s not! Circle for Hope is about growing the synergy between your fundraising, team building, and social networking to have the maximum impact possible. Our returning Walkers have shown us that the combined momentum of these key factors yields the highest fundraising totals, the largest Walker teams, and ultimately provide the best outcomes to help the greatest number of those in need. It’s time to share your successful practices with all our participants!
Get in the Loop: Your Circle for Hope Guide
Follow the tips below to maximize your social networking
, team building
, and fundraising
efforts! Utilize tried and true Weekend standbys with new tools like the Facebook Application to amplify your impact and have the most successful Weekend experience possible! Working together, we will eliminate the threat of all women’s cancers!
| Social Networking Team Building Fundraising
First Things First
Customize Your Personal Page
Did you know that participants who personalize their Personal Page and send emails through their Participant Centre raise an average of 22% more than those who don't? Share your story and upload an inspirational photo! Compel donors to contribute by explaining how women’s cancers have touched your life and the commitment of time and energy that you’re putting into preparing for your Weekend journey.
Use Your Participant Centre and Send Your First Email
Take advantage of the amazing tools your Participant Centre offers! Import your email contacts, send customized sample letters, track your responses and thank your donors! Returning Walkers—remember to thank your 2010 donors and ask them to support you again!
Fundraise Your First $500 in 30 Days
Jumpstart your fundraising by taking on our $500 in 30 Days Challenge! Follow our simple steps to reach mini-milestones, and watch the donation dollars come pouring in. Once the momentum gets going, there will be no stopping you! Download the 30-Day Challenge Guide.
Start Earning Hope Fundraising Credits
Recruit new Walkers and reach key fundraising thresholds to earn $100 Hope Credits towards your fundraising goal!
Activate Your Social Network
Add the Email Badge to Your Signature Line
Upload the Weekend Email Badge from your Participant Centre to the signature line of your personal and professional accounts. Not only will your contacts be able to track your fundraising progress, but they’ll be able to donate to you online with one easy click. Invite friends and family to attach your badge to their signatures as well with a simple prompt to “Support my daughter’s/sister’s/friend’s journey!”
If you’re not a member of Facebook yet, join! It’s proven to be an amazing Weekend tool—both for fundraising and team recruitment! Meet other Walkers in your area and check-out upcoming Weekend events by joining The Weekend Page on Facebook. Download the 2011 Facebook Application and start fundraising with your Facebook profile today! Use Status Updates to let others know about your Weekend goal and drive a whole new audience of potential donors to contribute.
Download the iPhone Application
Enjoy the amenities of your Participant Centre in the palm of your hand! Use our new Weekend iPhone App to email donors, update your Personal Page, and track your fundraising. Download it for free from the App Store by searching “The Weekend” or clicking here.
Expand Your Circle
Download the printer-friendly list of the above Circle For Hope Guide
Forming a team is a great way to multiply your impact! Send a quick email alerting friends, family, and co-workers that you’ve registered for The Weekend and invite them to join in your journey! So many people have been affected by women’s cancers and are just looking for an opportunity to support this cause. Together you’ll push each other further in your fundraising and training goals, and have a great time doing it. And don’t forget, you’ll earn $100 for each Walker you refer!**
Host a Weekend Circle for Hope Party
A Circle for Hope Party is a great way to bring The Weekend to life for potential donors and teammates while at the same time showing how dedicated you are to the cause. First decide on the type, location, and date of your party--ideas might include a barbecue, casino night, dessert swap, or even afternoon coffee. At your party--inspire! Talk about your personal reasons for walking and about the incredible impact The Weekend will have for those battling women’s cancers. Show the Orientation Video (you can request to borrow a copy from your Weekend Coach or find it on our Weekend YouTube page). It shows the spirit of the event and provides important information about how contributions will be used to support those in need. After the presentation, invite friends to give from their heart or join your team! Encourage guests to enter their donation online using your personal computer.
Bring The Weekend to Work
Get your workplace involved in your Weekend journey! Hang a graph charting your training and fundraising progress as well as donation and registration forms to encourage co-workers to contribute or join your team. Ask your company for a large corporate contribution or to match everything you raise. Will they sponsor a fundraising event? Will they publicize The Weekend in the company newsletter? If there are four other Walkers from work, will they donate to the corporate team? Use email or interoffice memos (get permission) to recruit new Walkers and donors.
Become a Weekend Pacesetter
Weekend Pacesetters are extraordinary teams who go above and beyond to support the efforts of The Weekend in recruitment and fundraising and their hard work certainly does not go unnoticed. As a special thank you, The Weekend highlights the amazing efforts of these teams, both online and on-event! Learn more about Pacesetters.
Sharing your story with the media is a great way to bolster your fundraising campaign and raise awareness about the cause in your community. By participating in The Weekend, you’re making a bold statement that your community will want to know about. Visit the Hometown Press tab to learn more.
Company Donation Matching Programs
Does your company or employer match your donation fundraising efforts? Visit your Human Resources representative to find out if this is a possible fundraising opportunity for you. Many companies are eager to support their employees, as well as the community.
Reach Out to Your Coaches
If you want to connect with other Walkers in your area or just need a few fundraising tips to get through a lull, the Weekend Coaches are just a quick call away! We’d also be happy to walk you through any of our new tech tools with simple instructions even the most novice of computer users can understand. These new tools have already proven to be extremely effective in recruiting and fundraising, so don’t be afraid!
If you need more help or have any questions, call our Weekend Coaches at
Weekend Circle for Hope Party Planner
Build your social network, fundraise, earn $100 Hope credits, and fast-track your way to success in 2011. Hosting a Circle for Hope Party will get people excited and motivated to support you in your fight to end all
women’s cancers. Just follow these step-by-step instructions to get the party started!
Plan the Setting
Will you host a wine and cheese party at 6pm on a weeknight? A Saturday afternoon potluck? A Sunday brunch? Will it be at your home, or the home of a friend, or a private room donated by a local eating establishment? The possibilities are endless. Be creative and host a gathering that fits your lifestyle and will be enticing to your invitees.
Create the Invitation
Have fun with this! Let your passion and personality shine through with artistic designs or “pink-ified” prose. Design invitations that can be sent regular mail and/or as Evites. Encourage guests to bring friends of their own! Ask everyone to RSVP and don’t forget to give people the option of donating to you by providing a link to your Personal Page if they can’t come.
- Call the Weekend Office at to let them know you’re hosting the party. If you plan to have 10 or more guests, ask if a Weekend staff member would be available to attend your party. Be sure to make arrangements to borrow a Weekend DVD Video that you will show to your guests, and ask for any last minute tips.
- Visit the Dollars at Work information so you’ll be ready to talk about the great programs, research, and services that Weekend dollars have and will continue to fund in the fight to end all women’s cancers.
- Print out personalized Donation Forms (available in your Participant Centre) and Registration Forms for your guests to complete at the party….OR
- Save a tree and set up your personal computer to allow guests to donate or register instantly online! Don't forget that you'll earn a $100 Hope Credit for each new Walker that you recruit before July 13, 2011*
*5 person referral limit for Toronto participants.
Party Day Plan
Mix and Mingle
As people begin arriving, serve food and beverages and give people the opportunity to socialize for a little while.
Gather Everyone Together and Make Your Presentation
- Welcome everyone and thank them for coming.
- Share your personal story about what The Weekend means to you and why you decided to embark on this unforgettable journey.
- Talk about the amazing things The Weekend is helping the BC Cancer Foundation make possible at the BC Cancer Agency.
- Make The Weekend come alive for your guests by playing the video. It will engage them and make them feel more emotionally connected to your commitment to the cause.
- After the video, take some time to answer any questions and give people the opportunity to share their thoughts.
Ask Your Guests to Join You—as a Donor or a Teammate!
Reiterate your commitment to The Weekend and let your guests know the fundraising goal you’ve set for yourself. Will they support you in your journey by making a tax-deductible donation? By joining your team? Let everyone know that, however they choose to help, they’ll be paving the way towards a future free of women’s cancers. Ask them to do it for their own mothers, daughters, sisters, and girlfriends.
Multiply Your Impact
Ask your guests if they would they be willing to send their own social network an email about your upcoming Weekend journey with a link to your Personal Page. Would they post a link to your story and link to your personal page on their Facebook page? Explain that even just by sharing your story with their own friends and family they are helping the cause by spreading awareness!
Be sure to send a note of thanks to everyone who attended.
Thank them for their time and thank them for donating or registering to walk. Let them know how much their support means to you and to the BC Cancer Foundation in the quest to end all women’s cancers.
Don’t Forget to Share your Weekend Circle for Hope Party story!
We want to hear all about it. Email your party photos and success stories to email@example.com. We’ll feature some of our favorites in upcoming e-newsletters!
Please Note: If you are interested in holding a fundraising event outside of your home and are planning to either serve or sell liquor, you may be required to obtain a liquor license. Please contact your liquor licensing board to ensure you comply with their policies and receive appropriate approval. If a license is required we are unable to assist with the process. Please talk to the licensing bureau directly for all information on the availability of such a license. Please note that The Weekend to End Women's Cancers nor the can be named on the license.
Likewise, if you wish to hold a raffle or 50/50 draw, you must apply for a license from the Gaming Commission. Similar to the above, we are unable to assist with this process. Please speak with the Gaming Commission directly.
Some important things to remember when fundraising:
- Aim High: Strive to surpass the fundraising minimum. The more money you raise, the more good work that gets done. Pick a number that feels like a real reach and go for it.
- Create a List of Potential Donors: Compile a list of EVERYONE you know. The more people you ask, the more donations you are likely to receive.
- Face-to-Face Meeting: Asking a potential donor for a contribution in person is always more impactful. Talking with you one-on-one will allow them to see how serious you are about collecting funds for The Weekend.
- Expand Your Giving Circle: You can multiply your donations by giving additional donation forms to your family and friends who have already donated, or asking them to email their friends with a link to your Personal Page.
- Follow Up: If you haven’t received a response from someone you’ve asked for a donation, be sure to follow up. Make a phone call or send a quick note to make sure that they haven’t forgotten your request.
- Thanking Your Donors: It is very important that you thank your donors! Once you have received a donation from someone, let them know that their contribution, whatever the amount, is important to you and that you appreciate it. You can also invite your donors to Closing Ceremonies, so they can see the results of your hard work in person.
- Post Event: You may want to send out a newsletter or email with some photos, and an additional thank you for your donors’ support. There are sample thank-you letters in your Participant Centre.
Social Media Tools
Utilize all The Weekend Social Media Tools to help you in your fundraising...
Adding the email badge will help extend your fundraising efforts to all your contacts you email every day! Personalized just for you, the email badge will show your contacts your fundraising goal and progress, and link directly to your personal page. The email badge is compatible with all email programs and can be placed on multiple accounts.
To add your personal Weekend badge to your email signature, login to your Participant Centre and follow the 1-2-3 instructions listed.
The Facebook application is designed to increase your fundraising by driving donations via Facebook with help from your Facebook friends and community. When you download the application from your Participant Centre, you will be directed to an interactive Weekend canvas page letting you donate your profile picture, send a stream story and share your personal story. The stream stories will update on all your friends’ news feeds and link them directly to donate to your fundraising.
Login to your Participant Centre to download the application and start fundraising on Facebook today.
The new Weekend iPhone application allows you to login to your Participant Centre directly from your iPhone. It’s a great tool for tracking your fundraising progress and to keep you current on all Weekend news! Within the iPhone app you can update your personal page including adding a photo directly from your iPhone, send emails to friends and family, follow our Twitter feed and watch yourself get closer and closer to your fundraising goal! Download the new app for free from the App Store.
Sharing your story with the media is a great way to bolster your fundraising campaign and raise awareness about the cause in your community. By participating in The Weekend, you’re making a bold statement that your community will want to know about.
Hometown Press Release
"Hometown Press Release 1" is for those who are walking to support continued breast cancer research and care. "Hometown Press Release 2" specifies that funding will benefit both breast and gynecologic cancers. Please click the appropriate link and describe your motivation for participating and your dedication to ending cancer. Personalize the release of your choice and send it to your local newspaper.
Be sure to include your name in the article. This allows people you don’t know to donate to you via your Personal Page. The "Instructions" document explains how to fill out the Hometown Press Release.
Do you want to invite your community to attend your own fundraising event for The Weekend? Click the "Fundraising Advisory" document above, to open a media advisory template that will alert those in your area about your fundraiser. Personalize the advisory and send it to your local newspaper’s community calendar section. If the newspaper does not have a community calendar section, send the advisory to the general news or news tips email address.
Be sure to include your name, so those who are unable to attend can still donate to you via your Personal Page. The "Instructions" document explains how to fill out the Fundraising Advisory.
Good luck with your Hometown Press campaign, and please let Borjana Slipicevic at firstname.lastname@example.org know if your story makes the news!
For Returning Walkers
- Make it a tradition: Many donors enjoy giving to the same charity every year and even look forward to it. Whether they're supporting you, or supporting the cause - or both - tell them about your experience in the walk last year, share pictures and videos.
- Dollars at Work: Give them at least one good example of where their dollars go. Then ask them to keep the good work alive by making another generous donation this year. Who could refuse?
- Update your Personal Page: Put up a new photo and update your page with your Weekend goals for this year. When your donors see how dedicated you are to the cause, they'll be just as dedicated to supporting you year upon year.
- Expand your Donor Network: There may be some people who simply can't give again this year. But you can expand your list of potential donors by asking them if they know someone else who would be willing to donate, and by digging deeper into your own social network to think of people you've never asked before.